Google
 

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Annie Hall

Mike’s DVD collection started with the purchase of Annie Hall with Woody Allen as Alvy Singer and Diane Keaton as Annie Hall.
The movie starts off with a joke:
“Alvy Singer: There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.”

Annie Hall is not a typical romance. Annie Hall is more about the substance of relationships and not so much about the flash of “falling in love”.
Alvy Singer seems like a nice guy. He has a variety of basically decent and interesting people in his life. This movie is the story of Alvy's relationship with one of those people; from his meeting with Annie Hall through their good and not so good times together.
Does Alvy evolve in this movie? You can make up your own mind.

The movie ends on a wistful note with a joke similar to the first:
“Alvy Singer: “I thought of that old joke, y'know, the, this... this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs”

No comments: